THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
EMBARGOED UNTIL THE START OF THE PRESIDENT’S REMARKS
January 16, 2013
Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions
Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system. Shouldn’t that be happening already?
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system. Ok
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. Pretty vague
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks. Um again why isn’t this happening anyway?
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun. Why are they seizing in the first place. Didn’t they do a background check prior to seizing or was a crime committed? If not should they have seized at all?
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers. Umm I’m pretty sure license gun dealers know how to do this but why should they?
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign. Like the NRA runs?
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission). Umm LMAO, really?
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations. That’s not being done? Wow, seems like a lot more issues raised than solved here.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement. Again, this isn’t being done? What the F… are we paying these people for?
11. Nominate an ATF director. HUH?
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations. I’m with this. But wait doesn’t law enforcement already train for this along with first responders? If not WTFN? Ok I’d add School officials.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime. What the hell does that mean?
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence. Because guns are a disease?
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies. ZZZZZZZZ
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes. Sorry it’s not the doctor’s business
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities. Umm, ok.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers. Ok, I’ll go along with this.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education. Umm should already be in place. Why do we pay these emergency management people all over the government?
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover. Don’t they know? Should we be firing some people?
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges. ZZZZZZZ
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations. That I’ll have to see.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health. You need and executive order for that? Can we do it in Las Vegas?
All these do is highlight that we are paying people already who aren’t doing their jobs.
- READ: Obama’s plan to reduce gun violence (washingtonpost.com)
- READ: Full List of 23 Executive Actions in Gun Violence Reduction Measures (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Obama’s 23 Executive Actions Against Guns (shepherdspiehole.typepad.com)
- Obama Announces Slate of 23 Executive Actions on Guns (freebeacon.com)